Friday, March 7, 2014

First World Problems or How I learned to Stop Complaining and Laugh at Life



Life is full of disappointments, setbacks, obstacles, and hurdles. I mean it doesn't take a rocket scientist or a brain surgeon to figure that out. At the same time there's also jerks, douchebags, and otherwise inconsiderate slack-jawed troglodytes who make these inconveniences happen, and I hate to admit it, but sometimes you yourself are that jerk who does these things to yourself. Lord knows I'm someone who gets mad at himself when something goes wrong, regardless of whether or not it was directly my fault or if I had a part in it. I'd go as far to say I treat people better, immensely better than I do myself. 

I know it's bad, but it's a self-esteem thing most likely. I can't give myself praise because I'll either look like a conceited piece of crap or be satisfied. A wise man once told me to never be satisfied in my own work, or else I won't yearn to get better the next time, so if I get satisfied in, say, a blog post like this, I'll get comfortable and not feel like putting in more effort. On the flip side, I treat people better because they'll give me the appreciation I neglect to give myself, again for fear that I'll look arrogant, and we all know there's too many of them on social media already. 


By now you're wondering what this has to do with the post's title. Well, think about it. Why do you think memes exist like the ones I posted here? Because they're taking an annoyance and turning it into something funny. This includes laughing at yourself when something isn't right. Now granted, there's a time and place for jokes, but don't get mad at something relatively minor. People who do that have rather depressing lives. Really that's the reason I wanted to start this blog: As a confidence booster and a way for me to share my thoughts with the world, even though nobody cares, or at least that's what my mind says. 

Think about some things that get under your skin. How do you turn these situations from nightmarish to pleasant? Talk to someone? Write in a blog like this? Contemplate a grand, terroristic attack because the barista at Starbucks gave you the evil eye? That last one's an exaggeration and anyone who decides to something like that should stop reading and get institutionalized ASAP. Anyway, a person who lives a life of laughs will usually be happier in general instead of having an "Everything sucks" attitude, but still, I'm curious on how you deal with life's obstacles with gusto? 

No comments:

Post a Comment