Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Trigger for bullying? Really?

Yes, I'm taking another Facebook trending article and I'm writing my thoughts on the matter. This one, unlike most of the ones I see, struck a rather big nerve with me for several reasons, but I'll get to those in just a moment. The story revolves around one Grayson Bruce, who aside from having a name that'd make any Batman fan blush, was bullied because he carried a My Little Pony backpack to school. See, Grayson is a brony, and a rather young one at that. It's natural, since he's at an age where gender roles and stereotypes are expected to be upheld, and his peers are taking the piss on him because he prefers pastel horses to battling robots. Anyway, the issue comes from the fact the school, after receiving complaints from Grayson's parents about the issue, says that he shouldn't bring the backpack to school because it's a "Trigger for bullying."

Alright, time for me to get my ranting cap on, because that is the biggest pile of bullsh*t I've ever heard. A boy shouldn't have to hide what he loves for fear that he'll be picked on. Remember when you were a kid, and all of the shows and books you read said to be yourself no matter what? Well, turns out it's all a lie, particularly with Grayson's case. Another person said that if bringing the pony backpack is a bullying trigger, then wearing a mini-skirt is a trigger for rape. It's part of the "Blame the victim" mentality. You know the ones who try to be Captain Hindsight and tell you that you're in the wrong instead of the assailant? Exactly the case here. 



I said earlier that this article struck a big nerve on several levels, and here's why: I'm a brony myself, and I've been bullied all my elementary school life, as well as having no teachers to take up for me, but instead give me useless advice and act like I'm falsely accusing a "star student" out of spite. I know how Grayson feels, and I strongly believe that the school, who I won't mention to save them some dignity (Not that they deserve it) is in the wrong majorly. The school wants to put the blame on him instead of the bullies who are getting away with murder. Same with the mini-skirt/rape thing I mentioned before. This image below expresses how I feel. 



Personally, I feel like the school is taking the easy way out by only dealing with one student as opposed to attempting to crack down on bullying, which is becoming a huge issue where other kids are attempting to take their own lives because of the endless taunting. Another young brony, Michael, had attempted suicide because of the relentless bullying he faced, and he's roughly the same age as Grayson. 

If you want my honest opinion, shame on the school for siding with the bullies and making the victim out to be the bad guy or for implying that he's bringing the torment on himself. As I've said, the school is too lazy to take bullying by the horns and attempt to put an end to it, so instead of letting a student express himself, he's told to be another face in the crowd. Ladies, gentlemen, ponies who have discovered the internet and somehow stumbled onto this bush league blog, I leave you with a Pink Floyd classic that sums up the situation very well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment